Friday, June 30, 2017

George Soros On Investing and Speculation

George Soros is one of the most influential and successful speculators and investors of all time. Famous mostly for his one-billion-dollar day on Sept 16, 1992 when he broke the Bank of England, the controversial billionaire has left quite a good amount of wisdom for those wanting to follow in his footsteps.

Below are listed quotes related to the game of investing and speculation.

"I'm only rich because I know when I'm wrong...I basically have survived by recognizing my mistakes."

"I very often used to get backaches due to the fact that I was wrong. Whenever you are wrong you have to fight or flight. When I make the decision, the backache goes away."

"Markets are constantly in a state of uncertainty and flux, and money is made by discounting the obvious and betting on the unexpected."

"The worse a situation becomes, the less it takes to turn it around, and the bigger the upside."

"Misconceptions play a prominent role in my view of the world."

"The hardest thing to judge is what level of risk is safe."

"Taking this view, it is possible to see financial markets as a laboratory for testing hypotheses, albeit not strictly scientific ones. The truth is, successful investing is a kind of alchemy."


4 comments: